Wilbur Lutheran Church

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Wilbur Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains congregational historical records, various bulletins including one from the dedication Thanksgiving Consecration program (1974), minutes from a congregational meeting (1967), constitution, correspondence, proposed articles of agreement, letters of call, a report of merger negotiations with Trinity, and a photo of the children’s choir.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Wilbur Lutheran Church, organized in 1967, is a merger of three Lutheran congregations which were started at the turn of the century. A group of German Lutherans organized St. Paul's Lutheran in Wilbur in 1899, and in 1902 they affiliated with the Ohio Synod. The congregation built its first worship center in 1914 and was served from nearby Reardan for many years. In 1938 it was combined with Almira as a separate parish and in 1940 became an independent congregation. A Danish group began a congregation in Wilbur in 1904 and met in a small office building for worship and fellowship.They built their first church in 1916. They were without a resident pastor for many years. In 1949, the congregation was reactivated and secured a resident pastor, and the name was changed from Danish Lutheran to Trinity Lutheran. In 1967, this congregation merged with St. Paul's. A Norwegian Lutheran Church was organized in Creston and called its first pastor in 1905. They met in homes with Rev. L. O. Onerheim as the first resident pastor. The congregation voted to disband on December 7, 1942. Wilbur Lutheran built a new church in 1973 when a large site on a hill overlooking the city was donated to the congregation.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places