American Lutheran Church

0374E 0375E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



American Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder includes a congregational historical record, a letter from Milton Nesvig, and a 50th anniversary booklet.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

This congregation was organized at the Milwaukee Women’s Clubhouse on February 24, 1934. Services had been conducted in the area for several years, but the people felt they wanted their owncongregation. Initially, pastors from Billings and White Sulphur Springs conducted services on alternate Sundays. On July 13, 1934 Rev. Virgil Foss was installed as the first full-time pastor. He also served the Barber congregation. In 1941 Lennep joined the two and to develop a three point parish. A church was constructed in 1937, and the first worship service there was held on September 12 of that year. The basement was used for the Sunday School and is still used for worship services. The first parsonage was purchased in 1943, and a larger one in 1961. A new education building was constructed in 1966.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places