Highland Lutheran Church

0865E 0867E 0866E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Highland Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a congregational historical record, a history of the church, an overview of age and other characteristics of the people of the church, other analytical documents about the congregation and the surrounding area, various letters, a booklet from the 100th anniversary, two booklets about the church’s stained glass windows, a bulletin from the 70th anniversary, copies of newspaper articles about the stained glass windows, a bulletin from the parsonage dedication, a congregational statistical record, letters of call, a newspaper article about the 100th year anniversary celebration, an informational booklet from the church, and a schedule of events from their centennial celebration.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

The La Center Norsk Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized September 21, 1883 with eleven Norwegian and four German families. Because of the language barrier the Germans decided to form the German St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church. As time went by the language problems dissolved and the two groups united. In 1887 the church changed its name to Malangen Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Clark County Washington Territory, then to Highland Norwegian Lutheran Church and finally Highland Evangelical Lutheran Church. On January 7, 1887 one acre of land was donated to the congregation by Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Anderson of Portland, Oregon. The church was built a short time later. The Young People’s Society, now the Luther League, was formed in 1940. A new parsonage was dedicated January 19, 1958. In 1983 the congregation celebrated its 100th anniversary.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places