Hope Lutheran Church

0728E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Hope Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a booklet from the dedication, a congregational historical record, and a brief history of the church.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Two men from Iowa, George Bruhn and Johan Johansen, were the founders of the Danish Lutheran church in this community in the early 1890s. The congregation was organized by 24 men in 1894. Rev. Jens J. Mylund was the first full-time pastor, arriving in 1896. TIn 1956 the congregation sold its facilities to another church in April. Property was purchased on Garfield Street and groundbreaking was held on August 18, 1956, with the first service held in the new building the following March. Remodeling and enlarging of the church began in October of 1976 after a successful fundraising program. The new addition was dedicated on April 3, 1977. A 1979 renovation included redesign of the large altar window which frames Mt. Rainier.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places