The Mooring Mast is PLU’s student-run newspaper, first printed in 1924. The unusual name of the newspaper came from the USS Shenandoah, a U.S. Navy airship. In nearby Fort Lewis there was a large mooring structure for the airship and the students derived the name from this in honor of the famed ship. Throughout its existence the newspaper was published as either 'The Mooring Mast' or 'The Mast.' The series in this collection show the different titles of the publication and years during which it was published as such. The newspaper includes coverage of campus events and activities, local and national news, athletics, editorials, and other information on student life and activities.
Students fulfilling the requirements of the Anthropology Capstone completed a Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research Dissertation Fieldwork Grant Application. The work of students who completed the project and agreed to make their work available through the Archives and Special Collections is included.