Saint John Lutheran Church


Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Saint John Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder includes a booklet from 50th anniversary celebration, various letters, 75th anniversary booklet and bulletin, brief history of the church, brief timeline, statistical record, and letter of call.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

On July 14, 1889 an itinerant missionary pastor of the Joint Synod of Ohio, Rev. Henry Rieke, accepted the call to become the first pastor of St. John’s. Construction of the church began in June of 1890, and it was dedicated on November 30 of that year. In 1898 the congregation became self-supporting. It was not until the turn of the century that services were held in English. In 1905 the church was enlarged and used often as a school. The present church was completed in 1915. By 1930, German services were dropped. Rev. Marcus Rieke, a grandson of the congregation’s first pastor, was installed in 1935 and served until 1941. In 1960 St. John’s joined with Genesee Valley Lutheran Church to form a parish of two congregations to be served by the same pastor.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places