Salem Lutheran Church

1074E 1075E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Salem Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a bulletin from 1912, a booklet from their 50th anniversary, a history of the church, a letter from Gerald Hoffman, a congregational historical record, a booklet from their 90th anniversary, various newsletters, a directory from 1958, and a bulletin from the installation of Gerald Hoffman.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Spokane Falls, Washington Territory, organized under the guidance of missionary Peter Carlson. Twenty-one adults signed the charter in 1888. The Ladies’ Sewing Society and the Young People’s Society paid over half of the church expenses for the first several years. Disagreements over the use of the English language caused a group to leave and form the English Trinity Lutheran Church, and in 1922 led to the pastor’s resignation. By 1923, the transition from Swedish to English was in progress. Considerable growth was experienced by the congregation in the 1940s and 1950s, and a youth center was constructed. During work on the building in 1949, a spark from a cutting torch ignited the sanctuary wall and the entire building was destroyed. A nearby Catholic church offered the use of its gymnasium for worship services until the new building was erected. Salvaged from the burned building were the stained glass windows, the altar painting, and most of the pipe organ, all of which were added as a part of the new edifice which was dedicated on April 30, 1950.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places