Vashon Lutheran Church

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Vashon Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains various newsletters, a congregational historical record, a bulletin from their 75th anniversary, a directory from 1977-78, a bulletin from their 60th anniversary, a 50th anniversary booklet, a booklet from their 75th anniversary, a bulletin from their dedication, various letters, a bulletin from 1964, a congregational statistical record, a program from dedication Sunday in 1962, a letter of call, invitation to a tea, building fund finance plan, and a newspaper article about the groundbreaking.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

A group of Norwegian Lutherans living on Vashon Island met together to hold services in the Vashon schoolhouse on April 9, 1903. Rev. M. A. Christensen conducted the services and was called at that meeting to be pastor of the newly formed congregation of 20 members. The congregation was officially organized as the Vashon Evangelical Lutheran Congregation on Sunday, March 4, 1907. On September 29 of that year the cornerstone for a new church was laid, with dedication of the structure taking place on July 11, 1909. Later in that year a parsonage was erected on the same property. Vashon was served by part-time pastors from Seattle, Tacoma, and other areas until 1945, when Rev. Lowell Satre came as the first full-time resident pastor. In 1959 a four-acre site was purchased for a new church, which was completed and dedicated on September 2 of that year. In memory of Lt. Col. Clyde Smith, a set of carillon bells were dedicated in 1963.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places