Central Lutheran Church

0157E 0159E 0158E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Central Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a congregational historical record, a bulletin from Confirmation Day May 24, 1953, a page from a bulletin on upcoming events, confirmation sheet, 50th anniversary booklet on the history of the church, 1950 photo booklet, 1950 dedication building program, congregational statistical record, letter from Siefkes 1965, letter from Mortvedt 1965, letters to Mordvedt 1965, church correspondences to H.L. Foss, report from Board of Christian Education, letter regarding church funds 1960, letter from PLU 1985, correspondence from Annetta Montgomery from 1985, bulletin from church service 1981, PLU memorandums, letter to and from Harvey Neufeld, letter from Rieke 1976, letter from Wallace Waters, 50th anniversary program, letter from David Berntsen 1974, booklet on history of the church for the 50th anniversary, installation bulletin for Susan Vanhoy and Brian Burchfield 1993, The Messenger newsletter June and July 1993, church constitution and by laws, eleventh Sunday after Pentecost service bulletin 1992, fifth Sunday of Easter bulletin 1991,Pastor Heidman's final sermon at Central 1991, third Sunday in Lent bulletin 1989, a page regarding Carlson's upcoming installation, and "An Investment in God's Tomrrow" booklet.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Central Lutheran Church began with mission work among Scandinavian immigrants in the Portland area. From this beginning, Our Savior's was organized August 27, 1876. In 1879 the Swedes left this group to form their own congregation. The remaining congregation located at East 10th and Grant and associated with the Norwegian Synod. In 1917 the three-way merger of the Norwegian Synod, the Huage Synod and the United Church, of which Bethlehem was a member, formed theNorwegian Lutheran Church of America. A committee from Our Savior's and Bethlehem explored the possibility of merging these congregations in 1917 and again in 1921. These latter negotiations were successful and in 1924 the merged congregation adopted the name Central. This merger was dissolved fifteen months later, primarily due to the language question. Central continued as a congregation with property at the corner of 10th and Wasco until 1950, at which time a new facility at 21st and Hancock was dedicated.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places