Emmaus Lutheran Church


Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Emmaus Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a congregational historical record, a 50th year anniversary booklet, a 1977 pictoral church directory, a booklet from the dedication service in 1962, a bulletin from the 50th anniversary, documentation pertaining to a Pacific Lutheran University campus visit, a dedication service program from 2002, church constitution, and an installation program for Steven W. Carlson 1991.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Emmaus Danish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation was organized in 1915 largely by members of the Bethesda group who lived in the city of Eugene and experienced difficulty in attending services some miles out in the country. In 1926 an effort was made to bring about the consolidation of the two congregations, and to that purpose Rev. Samuel J. Hansen was called. However, after a few years of trial the union seemed impractical and each congregation again called its separate pastors.The first church, which was erected prior to official organization in 1913, at 1492 West Second Avenue, was a one-story frame building without a basement. The basement, kitchen and indoor plumbing facilities were added some years later. There was talk of relocation as early as 1937. The church was remodeled and a new parish hall was dedicated November 18, 1951. The church later voted to change its location, and construction on a new building began in May of 1961. In 1977 construction of a new fellowship hall and multi-purpose room began.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places