First Lutheran Church

0004E 0005E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



First Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a souvenir program from their 40th anniversary, a “life story of the church," newspaper articles about the church, a 75th anniversary bulletin, a bulletin from the service of dedication, a 100th anniversary booklet, various letters, a congregational historical record, a congregational statistical record, a letter of call, a list of people at the church who are alumni of PLU, a bulletin from 1981, a church constitution, a service for First Lutheran's merging with Immanuel Lutheran, and programs for an installation.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

From 1877-1879 there existed in the Astoria area a Scandinavian Lutheran congregation. On September 7, 1884 a meeting was held for the purpose of organizing a Norwegian Lutheran congregation. They organized and called themselves the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Astoria. On May 8, 1893 the church, built at 29th and Grand Avenue, was used for the first time. During Rev. Sorenson’s ministry (1904-1906), the church was moved and a parsonage was built. In 1949 the official church title was changed to First Lutheran church. In 1950 the Brotherhood was organized. In 1951 the three Ladies’ groups, while retaining their individual organizations, joined together to form the Women’s Missionary Federation, which in 1961 became known as the First Lutheran Church Women. January 25, 1952 marked the laying of the cornerstone for the church. The first service was held there on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1954, with dedication following on September 26 of that year. During Rev. Strandjord’s ministry the congregation was served by six interns.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places