Good Shepherd Lutheran Church

0403E 0402E 1031E 0401E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Good Shepherd Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains various letters, list of improvements needed within the church 1977, a field report form, annual reports from 1975-77, a congregational historical record, an evaluation report of the church (1980), a booklet from the service of dedication1955, a bulletin from 1960, two flyers announcing the organization of the church, a church council response to the evaluation report of 1980, a 25th anniversary banquet bulletins , a booklet from the 25th anniversary celebration, a bulletin from the service of the cornerstone laying, a booklet from the day of dedication in 1964, a booklet from the organ dedication recital program, addenda for annual congregation meeting, installation service forJanelle Diane Aldrich-Dale 1998 program, correspondence regarding the constitution 1977, constitution and by-laws, booklet regarding church constitutions thoughout the LCA 1977, installation service bulletin for David A. Holmquist 1991, notes for executive council 1991, and Pentecost worship service program 1991.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

On December 3, 1950, Rev. Homer Berner led the first worship service for a group in south Salem. The organizational service for Good Shepherd was held at St. Mark Lutheran on April 22, 1951. A month later the charter had 88 names. Temporary quarters proved insufficient and on September 11, 1955 the first unit, consisting of a chapel and nine classrooms, was dedicated. Five years later a parsonage was built. The growth of the city of Salem followed a pattern other than anticipated. It became apparent that a different location would prove advantageous. Under Pastor Eller’s leadership the original property was purchased on Oak Hill. In June of 1964 a new church was dedicated. An organ was added in 1979 and by 1985 all indebtedness was fully paid.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places