Grace First Lutheran Church

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Grace First Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a copy of a newspaper article about the church, a congregational historical record, a bulletin from 1962, a booklet from the fundraising for a new building, a bulletin from the dedication of the new sanctuary, a booklet from the 50th anniversary, various letters, copies of pictures of the church, a letter of call to Richard Knutzen, a congregational statistical record, a bulletin from 1982, an invitation and program for the installation of Joel K. Liabraaten, service program from 1993, 75th anniversary commenorative pin, 75th anniversary booklet, and a bulletin for the 75th anniversary banquet.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

The village of Bend was incorporated in 1905 and by 1916 a real effort was put forth for the establishment of a Lutheran congregation. The actual organization took place on April 5, 1916, under the name of The First Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Mission Board called a pastor, and Rev. J.H. Brona arrived in the latter part of 1916. A church was built, and the first services there were held on the last Sunday of October, 1916, the formal cornerstone laying taking place March 11, 1917. The Ladies’ Aid Society formed in May of 1916. Their great financial help prompted the men in 1920 to give the ladies the same right as men in voting at congregational meetings. The first parsonage behind the church was built in 1920. In the early 1950s more space was needed in the church, so the parsonage was taken over for Sunday school rooms and a house on Congress Street was purchased for a second parsonage. In January of 1959 a finance plan was established to support the building of an educational unit for the church. Groundbreaking in March, 1961 marked the beginning of work on Luther House. The old church was razed, the old parsonage moved away, and the new unit was built. Another sanctuary was started May 14, 1972 and dedicated July 8, 1973.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places