Grace Lutheran Church

0045E 0046E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Grace Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains a congregational historical record, annual meeting reports from 1976-77, a 35th anniversary booklet, a fundraising pamphlet, a booklet from dedication day, a booklet from the 25th anniversary, a bulletin from 1981, various letters and documents from the church and Pacific Lutheran University pertaining to a visit, a welcome flyer from the church, two booklets from their 35th anniversary, a program for the installation of Dan B. Hallgrimson in 1994, a 50th anniversary booklet, and a program from the installation of Martha Maier in 1990.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

The beginnings of Grace were prompted in the early 1930s by the needs of Lutheran students at Oregon State University, then known as Oregon Agricultural College. Lutheran townspeople invited Lutheran students to their homes for bible study, fellowship, and food. A 1941 survey by students, directed by John Lawry of the National Lutheran Council, led to the first Lutheran service, conducted in a home close to campus. A variety of synods were represented in the area, but the Augustana Lutheran Church was in the best position to support the new congregation. In 1942 the Rev. Lael Westberg became not only the first pastor of the congregation, but also Lutheran Student Director. The congregation grew steadily, meeting first in a mortuary, then on campus and finally in the Corvallis Women’s Club Building. Four lots were purchased for a church building, and by 1947 an army chapel from nearby Camp Adair was purchased. It was relocated to Corvallis and became the first home of the congregation. Over the years the chapel was renovated and remodeled to serve the needs of a growing congregation. In 1967 the church broke ground for a new sanctuary and educational facility. The new church was dedicated on May 5, 1968.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places