Saint Mark Lutheran Church

0408E 0407E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description

File

Title

Saint Mark Lutheran Church

Date(s)

Extent

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder contains an invitation to the dedication service in 1958, a 25th anniversary booklet, a bulletin from 1967, a bulletin from 1956, a congregational historical record, a bulletin from 1952, an early history of the church, a youth handbook, a booklet from the 50th anniversary, a bulletin for Edward Bernard Meyer for his comissioning as a missionary, a bulletin from 1955, a booklet from the groundbreaking, a booklet from the 1958 dedication, various letters, a St. Mark planning document, “Partners in Missions” covenants, S-T-P Joint Inquiry, “Change in the Church” document, Agenda for Special Task Force, a survey for the ideal congregational life, installation service for Franklin A. Wilson 1998 program, 13th Sunday after Pentecost Service 1988 program, constitution and by-laws.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

On April 10, 1927 a group of people met in Salem to organize an “American” Lutheran church in a community that was served largely by Lutheran churches with strong ethnic traditions. The idea also gave the congregation its first name (American), used by the church until 1945. Growth was strong and rapid. Within five years after the initial meeting, membership had passed the 400 mark. The old Presbyterian church was the first church home. In 1934 weekly broadcasts of the services began. In the course of its history, St. Mark also sponsored two other LCA churches in Salem, Faith and Good Shepherd, a response to the growth of Oregon’s capital city. In 1957 construction began on a new church, located on the edge of the state capitol campus.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places