Zion Lutheran Church

0048E Organ Dedication Program

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Zion Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

Folder 1 has a congregational historical record, various letters, proposed budget from 1977, a newspaper clippings, an annual report booklet for 1974 and 1975, a pamphlet about the church’s stained glass windows, bulletin from the 90th anniversary service, a pamphlet from their organ dedication, two 90th anniversary booklets, bulletin from the installation service of John L. Sawyer (1954), a booklet from the dedication service in 1952, Christian Life Mission study pamphlet, a booklet from the 75th anniversary service, a booklet from the 100th anniversary. Folder 2 includes a hardback book containing church history until the 75th anniversary in 1972, a 100th anniversary booklet from 1997, a letter regarding the centennial, proclamation of celebration regarding the centennial, newspaper clippings, four year information flyer, a worship service program from 1997, congregation picnic flyer, announcement bulletins, reunion choir flyer for centennial, church constitution, Voice of Zion newsletters for centennial, 90th anniversary booklet 1987, ordination program of Debra Lynn Carlson 1994, installation programof G. Stanford Rosengren 1990, and Christian Life Mission booklet from 1960.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

Services were first held in The Dalles in the homes of Swedish and German imimigrants by traveling missionaries during the 1880s. In the spring of 1896, the Rev. Louis G. Gray moved to The Dalles from Oregon City for Lutheran mission work. Under his guidance a congregation was organized and a new church building was erected. Official organization took place on January 1, 1897 with 21 charter members. In 1901, Zion was one of the founding congregations of the Pacific Synod. One of its pastors, Merrell Boulton, served as president for seven years, and another pastor, Walter I. Eck, served as secretary for thirty-five years. A new church was erected over a two-year period, with dedication on May 25, 1952. Improvements were made to the church property over the years, including carillonic bells, memorial stained glass windows, and the restoration of original artifacts from the early church.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places