Zoar Lutheran Church

0033E 0034E

Identity elements

Reference code

Level of description



Zoar Lutheran Church



Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This folder includes a congregational historical record, a booklet from the 75th anniversary, booklet from the 70th anniversary, letters of call, various statistical graphs from the congregation, an ALC American mission agreement, various letters, a congregational statistical record, a church newsletter, the church constitution and bylaws,newspaper clippings, a program for the installation of Nick Doversberger, a bulletin from August 30, 1992, a bulletin from August 30, 1992, a bulletin from August 9, 1992, a bulletin from August 28, 1992, a pamphlet with list of special events surrounding the 100th anniversay of the church, church newsletters from January-September 1992, and a warranty deed.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information


Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

General note

This congregation was organized under the direction of Rev. O. R. Sletten on September 2, 1892. The congregation built a chapel on an acre of land donated by one of its charter members, located one and one-half miles east of Canby. This chapel served until 1904, when it was sold, and a new church was built that fall. During the early 1900s a few Lutheran families arriving from the Midwest settled in the Barlow vicinity. Pastors Holden and Hagoes of the “Synode” Organization recognized the need for a church in the area. On November 18, 1901, the Scandinavian-American Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Barlow, Oregon was organized under the direction of Pastors Holden and Hagoes. The congregation adopted the constitution then used by the Norwegian Synod. They bought a small church from the Methodists. Rev. Hagoes served until June of 1906, and Rev. A. O. White from 1906-1918. Then it was served off and on by neighboring pastors until the spring of 1919. The two Lutheran congregations bought an acre of land from James Erickson to serve as a cemetery. On recommendation of the Vice-President of the United Lutheran Church of America, the Zion congregation of Barlow consolidated with the Zoar congregation of Canby on April 25, 1911. The newly consolidated congregation then purchased a lot from Tom Mahlum, east of the city and moved the church to this location. Later, in 1919, the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Barlow also joined the Zoar Lutheran Church of Canby. Another congregation, Bethlehem Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, located in the Yoder area, also contributed members to Zoar. After a few years the Zoar church became too small and was in need of repair. In 1927 the congregation bought a lot south of the main highway in Canby paid for by the Ladies’ Aid. Rev. J. A.E. Naess placed the cornerstone of the new church February 5, 1927. The first services were held November 6, 1927, and dedication was on October 28, 1928.

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places